Tuesday, January 20, 2015

School Days - Tuesday (1/20/15)

Today we didn't get to do as much stuff as we did yesterday.


Cat worked on puzzle words today. There are 17 packets of puzzle words to go through. These consist of the most frequently used words in our language (I think),that are not phonetic. Each packet contains about 6 words. Cat is on packet #8. In this picture she was writing down "puzzle words" in her journal. The journal records what is being done with her time during school. She logs down the date, time and a small description (just the title for now) of the work she is doing. I didn't get an actual picture of  work with the puzzle words.


Tes worked with the chalkboards again. She has 3 more letters to practice on this board until we can move onto the triple lined boards.


Swiper working with the clothing frames.


Sorry about the blurry picture but I couldn't resist :).



Tes wanted me to capture more images of her work.


Cat drew a picture of Swiper at work with the frames!


Swiper tasting the contents of the bead cabinet. The cabinet contains beads that represent squares and cubes of the numbers 1-10. It is used for work with squaring and cubing as well as memorization of the math facts.


Cat was introduced to the large bead frame today. This allows her to do operations with numbers in the millions. And yes, that is a pencil in Swiper's mouth! I got it though :).


Here she is noting her work in her journal. I usually spell out the title of the presentation I give her and she copies it into her journal. She only attempts to sound it out and spell it herself every once in a  blue moon.


Swiper having a go at the small bead frame.


Swiper was busy today! He loves this polygon work with straws!


MJ working with the United States puzzle map. This work is a primary work, but I had not introduced it to him until he was in elementary. He has been practicing putting it together since he saw a video of a friend working on it from another blog. I pulled out the labels for this map to add some further reading practice, as well as memorization of the state names. 

MJ also worked out two commutative/distributive equations similar to the one he did yesterday. He did one solely on paper and then one with the actual beads. I'm really impressed with his focus on these math activities. It was very tedious for him in the beginning. I would get very frustrated that he couldn't manage to sit through a whole presentation, but now he is working multiple problems in a row and is not complaining at all. He seems to be enjoying them. Score! And I forgot to take pictures of his work. I think I was chasing Swiper around with the camera or possibly trying to put him down for a nap. Sometimes I feel like I'm putting him down during the entire school period. He likes to "pretend" he's sleepy by rubbing his eyes and clinging to me and fussing, only to get in the room and then start jumping on the bed and trying to do everything but sleep! So back out to the school room we go. 


Swiper is amazing at practicing his balancing skills. He was eyeing the other bells above his head while he tested out one of them. It seems that he gets more work done in one day than all the kids get in a week! He's gonna be one smart cookie!


Cat pulled out some random flash cards to work on when I had disappeared into the room to put Swiper down for a nap, again. NOT Montessori, but at least she kept on working. Usually I'd walk back into the room to find something crazy going on, like say...


...this. 
I have no clue. She made up a game and it included building a wall with their "dinosaur board". I made this board a few years ago for them to play with all their dinosaur figures on and we used it to block off some of their work from Swiper. 


Today I worked with Tes on forming numbers. I picked a random card and had to give me the corresponding beads. We also reversed so I'd get a random quantity of beads and she'd give me the corresponding card. We started with one category at a time and then moved onto two categories. Then Swiper woke up.


We also had  nice surprise today in our backyard. Our yard backs up to a (usually) dry creek. Lately the creek has actually been holding water. This as brought some new life to our neighborhood! This crane is huge! I'm sure it is as tall as MJ, if not taller. And when it flies away, it's wingspan is pretty darn long! The kids were checking this guy out below.


I wish I could have turned this into some sort of amazing learning opportunity. I envisioned pulling out a bird book (which we don't have) and checking out all the details on these birds and having the kids draw some pictures or label something. Yeah that didn't happen. We had to take off and go visit these guys!

We'll be back later this week!

Jenn












6 comments:

  1. Where did you get your puzzle word list? I've seen that 200 word list, but can't put my finger on where... maybe the Montessori R&D primary language album?

    Love Tes's smile face.

    Hey,that is so smart to have a small stand for the sandpaper letters. Okay, I know we see you guys, but remind me again of how old Tes is? Or I can just ask S...she always tells me.

    Would you clarify for me again...is the work journal the same or different than our "work notebook?" You know way more about theory than I do. I have everyone do their notation and pasting work a notebook so we don't have loose papers flying around and basically eliminate the need for cubbies. Then I have them write in their journals (which are just nicer notebooks) a list of items they accomplished and the list of items they plan to accomplish. We haven't added time stamps yet. I just don't remember your notebook system would you remind me?...BTW, your cursive is the best!

    MJ should do the US puzzle map work with T! I bet they'd have a blast.

    I am just so impressed that you get schooling done with Swiper...such a challenge! You are a super trooper for sure. And that crane pic is awesome! Great close up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica has a list in the KotU language album. There is a section called Puzzle Words.

    Tes is 4.5 yrs old.

    Work Journal is a record of the child's daily work as well as any notes of interest to follow up on. They can use their work journal and their "conversations" with the guide to build a workplan. Right now we just record the start time and the name of the work. Cat's entries are all over the place. Sometimes she writes the time vertical and sometimes she writes the hour over 3 lines and then 4 spaces below that she'll put the minutes. Some of her words take the whole page and sometimes she writes really small and gets it all on one line. I need to start focusing her attention on how to write on a line. I think you said this before but it's as if the lines aren't even there to them...lol.

    It is T's puzzle map video that made MJ want to do it!

    School execution definitely goes up and down. Yesterday's post was like a super school day...lol. Today...not so much. I presented one thing to everyone and then we called it a day. Swiper was all over the place and a bit fussy! Hopefully I can get a post up tonight since it should be easy with only like 2 pics. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such a trooper for blogging in the first place with someone so young. I am just glad that I can show T, S, and D what your guys are doing and that may spur them on! Did MJ see Me Too's video? That is what got T going!
    http://whatdidwedoallday.blogspot.com/2014/10/usa-puzzle-map.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today Swiper is officially 10 months old! At least he's slightly limited right now since he can't walk yet. I'm not looking forward to him being able to get around faster and then run away from me as I chase him down after he destroys something...haha.

      Yes we did see her video when she posted it. It definitely helps to see other kids using the same materials even if only by pictures.

      Delete
  4. BTW, I think "Swiper" is the best blog pseudonym ever. It suits him perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was going to call him something else but in my sentence I was talking about how he was swiping the number cards and in my head I heard "Swiper, no swiping"...and there it was born. :)

    ReplyDelete